Contact/Links
100% Content
August 12th, 2008

Frank Fairfield

There was a time when being a musician meant being a performer. The two words were interchangeable. And in that time, to be a good performer meant internalizing the mood, the melody, the pain, the joy, and the ecstatic orgasmic release that sometimes only music can provide an inward traveler. If you think back on whom the great performers of pre-war America were, the names read like a roster of murderers and malcontents, disturbed individuals who knew only their instrument as a means to express the isolation they felt inside. For, in those dusty days, the musician was not the respected, mythologized artisan that he is today. The musician was the outcast — the slightly cracked, socially incapable, wandering loner who couldn’t hold down a job, a lover, or even a friend. These wayward daydreamers were cast to the fringes of society, only to be respected decades down the road when they emerged from the blast furnace of isolation with a repertoire of raw, unfiltered songs that smoldered from the core of their being. Son House, Leadbelly, Lonnie Johnson, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Dock Boggs, Roscoe Holcomb: these were not delicate men. If you walked into a bar while Son House was playing, you wouldn’t wax poetic (like I am now) about the emotional honesty of the performance — you’d be downright frightened. But in that moment of fear, you’d recognize his pain in yourself and that would be the root of your fear. And you wouldn’t stop listening until the last note was played.

When I saw Frank Fairfield performing at 3 Clubs in Los Angeles some weeks ago, I knew I was hearing something that I hadn’t heard, or felt, before. Here was a young man with a banjo, a parlor guitar, and a side-saddle fiddle playing songs that hadn’t been sung — and certainly haven’t been in vogue — in decades. In his quivering voice and his relentless, brutal attack on his instruments, I stood witness to the type of performer who earned his stripes on the stage and on the street. Not in pro-tools. Only just recently has he released his first mp3 (a live recording, aptly enough) for us to enjoy. More, Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes was duly impressed and invited Frank to open for him on their upcoming tour of the United States. Enjoy the track, but please don’t miss a chance to see Frank live if you can.

[ stream ] Frank Fairfield – Mole in the Ground

Bascom Lamar Lunsford – Mole in the Ground (original)

or [ download ] Frank Fairfield – Mole in the Ground

=tyler=

24 Comments »

1. this is amazing stuff! thank you

Comment by jack a roe — August 12, 2008 @ 11:56 pm
  2. get this guy to play big sur!

Comment by k — August 14, 2008 @ 2:54 am
  3. Frank’s playing Mr. T’s Bowl in Highland Park Sept. 3rd. Don’t miss a chance to witness Frank’s rare and truly wonderful power.

Comment by E — August 18, 2008 @ 5:13 pm
  4. Awesome, can’t wait to hear more from Frank!

Comment by MTM — September 1, 2008 @ 6:28 am
  5. What great talent!! When is the tour starting? We want to see this guy in the Lone Star State.

Comment by Gina — September 2, 2008 @ 10:00 pm
  6. Young, good looking and an amazing talent! This guy is going places. Can’t wait to see him perform live.

Comment by M P — September 2, 2008 @ 10:05 pm
  7. Just caught him in Columbus, OH. Skipped the first ten minutes of Frank because I am a DUMB@SS and didn’t look into who was opening. Went across the street from the university to grab a beer. When I came back I was frozen solid. Every single person in the room was frozen. I screamed a southern yelp the minute he stopped singing in appreciation. It freaked the room out, for they had forgotten where they were, why the were, who they were. There was only Frank, his time triforce of instruments, and our minds. The man is not a pinup. This man is not an act. The guy is an enigma, and after hearing him I could feel 100 year old coal dust in my lungs and heart. God bless him. Don’t miss it. Thank you blog person for the song.

Comment by f1gur3h3ad — October 9, 2008 @ 11:15 pm
  8. […] • Frank Fairfield – “Tim Brooks” Some blog posts about Fairfield: LA Record, naturalismo, passionweiss Bookmark and Share: sociallist_d59ae9c6_url = […]

9. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I apprexiate you writing this
    write-up and alswo thhe rest of the sife is extremely
    good.

Comment by Mason — March 19, 2014 @ 3:39 pm
  10. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and
    sources back to your blog? My blog is in the very
    same area of interest as yours and my visitors would definitely benefit from some of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this ok with you. Cheers!

Comment by Edward — September 28, 2014 @ 3:28 am
  11. Merely desired to mention I’m just pleased that i came upon your page!|

Comment by cs go skins aug — April 4, 2016 @ 3:00 pm
  12. Hey there I am so delighted I found your blog, I really found
    you by error, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say cheers
    for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I dont have time to read through it all at the minute
    but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic b.

Also visit my homepage … DanaDStubson

Comment by DanaDStubson — June 12, 2016 @ 12:55 pm
  13. Below youll uncover the link to some web-sites that we think you should visit.

Comment by Google — June 13, 2016 @ 3:19 am
  14. that is the finish of this write-up. Here you will come across some internet sites that we believe youll appreciate, just click the hyperlinks over

Comment by app maker — June 15, 2016 @ 9:50 am
  15. we like to honor a lot of other world-wide-web web-sites around the net, even though they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Beneath are some webpages really worth checking out

Comment by Pre Mix Tablet Binder — June 16, 2016 @ 8:32 am
  16. we like to honor many other online internet sites on the web, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages really worth checking out

Comment by bantningspiller — June 23, 2016 @ 9:16 am
  17. always a big fan of linking to bloggers that I enjoy but dont get a good deal of link like from

Comment by Enterprise — July 1, 2016 @ 4:18 pm
  18. we prefer to honor a lot of other web web pages on the web, even if they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages worth checking out

Comment by mountain coffee classics — July 3, 2016 @ 11:22 pm
  19. always a major fan of linking to bloggers that I love but dont get a good deal of link love from

Comment by Piece Of Heaven — July 6, 2016 @ 7:48 pm
  20. that could be the finish of this article. Here you will come across some websites that we believe youll appreciate, just click the links over

Comment by tower garden plants — July 10, 2016 @ 12:48 pm
  21. we prefer to honor numerous other web web-sites around the internet, even though they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Underneath are some webpages really worth checking out

Comment by careers you can work from home — July 21, 2016 @ 11:57 pm
  22. usually posts some incredibly interesting stuff like this. If youre new to this site

Comment by Turen — July 26, 2016 @ 4:34 pm
  23. we like to honor several other internet sites on the net, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Beneath are some webpages worth checking out

Comment by Fenster und Turen — July 26, 2016 @ 10:17 pm
  24. that would be the end of this report. Here youll find some web sites that we consider you will value, just click the links over

Comment by methode de guitare — July 30, 2016 @ 7:01 pm